Skirt illustration

Hello everyone,

So in pattern cutting we have been learning all about skirts and how to construsct our own skirts and make the patterns to make them. For our final out come for this project we were tasked to make our own skirt. To do this we will have to, design the skirt, make the pattern, make a mock up and then make it out of our final fabric. All of these things will show the differnt skills that we have learnt throughtout the first term of college.

To start off making the skirt I needed to come up with differnt ideas which my skirt would look like, by doing fashion illustrations. We were tasked to create 4 differnt designs that we would then pick our  favourite from. These our my skirt designs that I have created, I chose to draw them out using pen and then go over them with water colour to make them stand out.



This is the design that I have chosen for my skirt. I think I am going to incorperate some differnt elements into the skirt design so I am going to slightly change my illustration. I think I want to use another type of pleats, box pleats, and I want to make the back have a dart, not pannels, I think this will show more skill and techniques I have learnt this term. 


Here is my redone fashion illutsration of how I want this skirt to look. I decided to add in two box pleats at the front and one at the back. As well I changed the back instead of being pannels I made it have side darts. From this illustration I needed to make a working sketch.


This is my working sketch that I drew for my skirt. A working sketch is like a drawing that you see on the back of a sewing pattern and it shows all the design features in there simplest form. It also shows the differnt stitching and types of seams or hems you are going top use.


From my working sketch I am going to make the pattern and create it in calico to see how it turns out before making it in my proper fabric. I will continue to share this on another post.

I hope you have enjoyed looking at my work and thank you for reading.

Amy xxx 

Comments