Boro stitch

Hello everyone, 

So today in class we were learning about different techniques that we could then us in our final piece for the project. One of the techniques that we learnt about was boro sewing, the idea of this is that you patch up holes in clothing using different pieces of fabric, layering them to cover the whole and then using simple stitches, running stitch, to attach it all together, this was used a lot in Japanese culture, as the poor could not afford new clothing. 


As you can see here I started to do by boro stitch by just layering fabrics on top of and underneath holes that were in the legs of some jeans. Once I had made the fabric arrangement that I liked I started to sew them in place, for one of the I chose to only used the sewing machine and then the other I used the sewing machine to secure them and then hand sewed over the top. 





I really like how this technique turned out as I think it adds colour into the broken fabric while adding little details using the stitch over the top. I prefer the look of the hand stitching more then the machine stitching as I think it looks a lot more delicate, even though it took at more time.

I hope you have enjoyed looking at my work and thank you for reading. 

Amy xxx



Comments