Creating a repeating pattern

Hello everyone, 

So today I am going to be share some work I did on repeating patterns in class. We were creating our own repeating patterns for the designs we created, see last post, in photoshop and illustrator. There were many advantages and limitations with creating repeating patterns using these sites. One advantage of using photoshop to create a repeating pattern is that you can easily insert your paper design into the program and then it is easy to edit and alter. A limitation of using photoshop is that it is quite confusing how you make the pattern repeating as there is a lot of different steps. In adobe illustrator it is very easy to create a repeating pattern as there is a tool that lets you create the pattern, it will also rearrange the pattern into different forms so that it is arranged in different orders like half drop, side by side and brick. A limitation to using illustrator to create repeating patterns is that is quite hard to edit the pattern. 

In class we scanned in our design that we did and then tried to create them into repeating patterns. So, I thought I world share on here my repeating pattern.  


This is the design that I chose to work with as I like how simple the shapes are and I think they would make a good pattern. 


Here I have used photoshop to create this repeating pattern. This took me quite a long time as there were a lot of steps that went into the creating of it. I do like how this pattern has turned out, but I think it would look better if I was able to make it more seamless. 





I have also tried making my design into a repeating pattern using adobe illustrator. In this program I found it a lot easier to do as you can save the design as a pattern and easily us it again whenever you want. In this program I was able to line my design up differently, so it looked more seamless. I really like how this pattern has turned out as I think it is a good example of making a repeating pattern easily. 

I hope you enjoyed looking at my work and thank you for reading.

Amy xxx

Comments