The knitting and stitching show

Hello everyone,
So today we went to the knitting and stitching show at Alexandra palace. This was a trip which we had to go on part of our course.


We left college at 9:00 and got to Alexandra palace at about 10:30, once we had got there we went inside and started to work around the stools.


To start with we looked at lots of artists work which was displayed there. There were so many amazing artists with so much amazing work all different. We went around all the stools looking and taking photos of there work. We also talked to the artists to find out why and how they did some of there work. It was so interesting to look and find out about other people’s work.


One artist that was there was Caren Garfen, I looked at this artist for my final piece for GCSE textiles. I already knew quite a lot about her work so it was great to get see other things she had made and to see her work in real life.

Caren Garfen’s work is mainly about eating desorders and mental health. She creates really intercut pieces of work, she mainly hand sews using light coloured threads sewing words into different things to creating a clinical feel to her work.

One of my favourite pieces of work of hers is called ‘Tweets (not sweets)’. This piece is tweets people have tweeted about eating desorders sewn in different colours into fabric strips. These fabric strips are scrolled up and put into tablet capsules and are stored in a sweet jar. I love this piece of work as she when you look at it you think it is one thing when it actually is something completely different.


There were also so many other artists there including Cas Holmes, Dawn Hemming and Emily Tull. It was amazing to get the opportunity to see all these peoples work and talk to them to find out how they have made some of there pieces.


There were also lots of different areas that exhibited lots of different pieces of work that we could go into. One area that I really liked was called colour notes. From the name you can tell that this area was full of lots of colours. I loved how they had used to many different and creative colours in a interesting was to create beautiful art. One of the pieces in this area was little rectangles of colour all lined up on a wall. Each rectangle was a different colour and they had made lots of texture in the colour. With each colour they had recreated the same colour making it look so interesting as you could see the different ways they had recreated the texture.



Once we had finished looking at all the artists stools we moved onto the shopping area, this i a very dangerous area for someone who loves sewing and fabric as you just want everything. There were sooooooo many different stalls selling everything sewing and crafts. We wandered around all the stools trying to contain myself from buying all the fabric. I bought two pieces of fabric which are both two metres long, one of them is pink with different colours polka dots and the others one is green with a little Christmas pattern on it. I am unsure what I am going to make out of there fabrics but when I do I am sure I will share them on here.


We had to meet our teachers back at the coach at 4:30 so once we had finished we looking around the stools we made our way back to the coach at got on board and set off to go home and we got back about 5:20. I had a great day and enjoyed seeing all the peoples work even though by the end I was very tired.


I hope you have enjoyed reading about me day at the knitting and stitching show and thank you for reading

Amy xxx

Comments