Textures

Hello everyone,

I have been doing lots of tests making different textures in my sketchbook so I thought I would share with you some of the textures I made in textiles. I have used many different techniques to make lots of textures.


One technique I used is 3D shibori, to do this I trapped different objects in the fabric using thread and then boiled it in hot water, once it had cooled and dried I was able to cut the thread and see how the texture turned out.

I love how these textures look as all the different textures create different patterns, which all look different. I like how trapping different object can create lots of different textures. As well if ypu tie the string different ways you can create different textures.


Another technique i have used is fabric manipulation to create bubbles in the fabric. To do this i wetted the fabric then i have pushed parts of the fabric into different backing trays to make the bubbles. I have then let it dry overnight and ironed interfacing onto the back to stablise the fabric so the texture stays. I then took the fabric out of the trey to expose the texture now on the fabric.


I really love how this technique has turned out as the texture is very interesting. I found it hard to do this technique as when i pushed the fabric into the holes in the trey, the fabric moved out of another hole.


I have also used heat manipulation as a techique to create texture. To do this i have found synthetic fabrics and have used a heat gum to heat the fabric, this causes the fabric to start to melt making it shrink and create bubbles in the fabric.


I love how this tecnique has turned out as some of the fabric didnt melt creating different textures. I like how you can apply different amounts of heat and it creates different effects.


Another texhnique i have used is gathering fabric. To do this i have used the biggest straight stitch on my sewing machine and then sewin lots of lines, once i had done this i pulled one of the pieces of thread which gathers the fabric. This creates a sort of bumpy texture and you can gather it different amounts to create different amounts of texture.


I found it quite hard to do the spiral gathers as it was hard to pull the thread to gather it so this did not work very well. To improve this I could have gathered the fabric as I go so that the fabric stinks as I see it.

I hope you have enjoyed this post and thank you for reading this post

Amy xxx


Comments