Fashion Illustrators



Sonia Delaunay 


Sonia Delaunay was a Ukrainian-born French artist who spent most of her life working in Paris, with her husband Robert Delaunay, together they cofounded the orphism art movement. A key feature of this art movement is the way of strong colours and geometric shapes, and this is a key feature in Delaunay’s illustrations.



I really like Sonia Delaunay’s style of work because I think the simple geometric shapes are really interesting and stand out as the shapes really show the context of the illustration and clearly express the nature of the drawing. I think that the block colours that she has used in her work make it look quite flat, but I do think that this is very effective.   

Joe Eula 


Joe Eula was an American fashion illustrator. Eula documented many pieces of work showing fashion illustrations from 1940s through to late 1990s, but his work was very prominent in the 1960s and 70s.


I think that the use of colour or lack of in a lot of joe Eula drawed me towards the work as I think that it is really interesting how he has used just black in a lot of his illustrations to that you completely focus on the shape and like he has created. I also really like how a lot of his illustrations are in very obscure positions and unproportionate which I think is really interesting in the lines that are used.  


Mats Gustafson 



Mats Gustafson is a sweetish born fashion illustrator who began his illustrating career in the late 1970s, this was when illustrating’s was being taken over by photography. His main meantime of work was water colour but also used pastel and cut out paperwork’s. 


The silhouette style of mats Gustafson work really stands out against other work I have seen in fashion illustrations and I this has made me chooses this piece. I like that is a different way that he has worked and stands out against other work and it is a outline, really focusing on the shape of the garments. He also uses really flat colours 9n a lot of his work which is quite draining and harsh as they are dull colours but I think this really suits the silhouette design of his work.

Gladys perint palmer 



Glady perint palmer was born in hungry but was mainly brought up in England for his childhood. Perint Palmer really focused on fashion illustration in her career but was also a journalist and educator. Glady perint palmers work has been featured in work for many designers past and present.



I really like the way that this illustrator uses colour in their work as she uses it as a focus feature which really draws your eye making a focus point to the work. I think how perint palmer has applied the colour is also really interesting as it looks almost like a scribble. I like the way you can see white patches between the strokes which really creates a contrast with the colour and the page.

Jacky blue 




Jacky blue is a new your based fashion illustrator who in the past created evening wear at donna Karan in the 90s. at present time she now fully concentrates of her own work where she creates drawings, painting and prints inspired by the international ready-to-wear and couture collections 




What really drew me to Jacky blues work was her bright use of colour. In all of her work she expresses a lot of colour which really makes it stand out and add depth and design in her work. I also really like how blue has used unconventional proportions to the body making the figures look unreal and really interesting 

Cecilia Carlstadt 



Cecilia Carlstadt is a Swedish illustrator who graduated from London college of fashion in 2003, after living In London and New York she is now living in Stockholm working as a illustrator linked to the fashion industry. She uses lots of different techniques and medias including spray paint, screen printing and collage. 



I think the way the Carlstadt’s work looks is really interesting how she has used really simple shapes to express fashion to her own interpretation. I think that how you can see makes in the media that is used is effective and how she has used the different properties the medias have creating experimental lines.

Richard Haines 




The think that really interreges me about Haines work is the child like exterior, with how he applies colour to his work and the interesting shapes that he uses. I also think it is interesting how he uses a simple line in a lot of his pieces which really creates the shape that expresses the fashion he wanted 









Comments